Sunday, April 13, 2014

Flash photograms

I was wondering if it was possible to use a speedlight to create some "fast action" photograms.

I was inspired by Jerry Burchfield's beautiful work in Cibachrome.




















After a few experiments I found a Nikon SB900 from a height of 2 meters set to 1/128 power was just about right to get the blacks.

I placed a glass container with water in it on top of the photo paper in the darkroom and dropped a paintbrush into it. I triggered the flash manually from just above head height just as the brush bounced. I like the diffraction patterns in the images.

I want to get a swimming animal and try again.

 The first one had less water and more pronounced waves.

The second one was deeper and as the surface was further from the paper (I think) the waves were less defined.

No comments:

Post a Comment