Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Preparing Gum Arabic

I am using Gum Arabic powder for my gum prints.

This variable has got me stumped.

I have read ratios (g/ml of powder/water) from 16 / 100 ("28 grams gum arabic powder to 175ml of water") to 30 / 100 ("300g of gum arabic to 1000ml of water)

I also know that the commercial grade gum arabic in liquid form is 14 Baume.

I have made 10 prints at 16 / 100. The development stage is interesting. After 30 minutes of soak (2 refreshes of water) in tepid water the highlights have not cleared. But, with a directed stream of water, they loosen and clear quite quickly.

I am not sure why.

I also found this.

"SG (specific gravity)=145/(145-Bè)
If you substitute 14 for Bè then what you are looking for is a solution with a specific gravity of 1.106"

Since the Gum Arabic powder does little to the volume, the weight of 100ml (+the volume of gem arabic powder) should be110.6g. It seems to me that a little more than 10.6g of powder should do the trick.

Hmmmm.


No comments:

Post a Comment